Friday, November 11, 2011

About Me

I am your average technofile that is plugged into and have great interest in all the goings of various tech companies. I am fed a healthy diet of tech information from such podcasts as Buzz out loud (which is now weekly, boo!), Tech News Today, Search Engine... and some others. Am a fan of most things online that are tech related.


I work in IT, mainly with Lotus Domino at the moment, but also with Symantec's Enterprise Vault that is so overly complicated it makes it interesting ;). I write a great deal of internal technical and procedural documentation for the company I work for and have been doing so for about 10 years.


Now for the geek cred part... I got my start in IT from the Commodore 64 that my parents first bought for me way back in the day. I first spent a lot of time trying to swap games and figure out how exactly the thing worked, but mostly spent time on games. Montezuma's revenge, Sammy Lightfoot, Space Taxi, Bruce Lee & Hero were some of my favourites (Canadian spelling sorry), anyone who had a Commodore 64 knows what I am talking about. I also had fun playing back Commodore 64 cassette tape games back in audio cassette decks for the fun or annoyance factor.


Fast forward a bit, I was in high school and started to actually do BASIC programming on the C64, mostly trying to create a text-based RPG that consisted of many many GOTO statements... was fun, especially when you didn't anticipate that you would run out of line numbers. After that got an Amiga 500... if only for the game 'Shadow of the Beast', that game ruled and that computer was way ahead of it's time. I remember wondering when talking with one of my IBM 286 owning friends what the heck a sound card was (since that was already part of the Amiga).


Once I went off to college, started to get my feet wet with the IBM PC (a 486SX), which I had successfully avoided all the way up to this point. I started taking the thing apart and also spent considerable time trying to make the IRQs & DMA settings on my 14.4 modem 'just so' in order to Trumpet Winsock to see them on Windows 3.11. Spent a lot of time learning DOS, batch scripts and how to do stuff on the Toronto Freenet, which was entirely text based.


In college, learned your standard regiment of programming languages... C, C++, Java, Perl, RISC/CISC Assembly as well as tying that into hardware (was a Computer Engineering course). Learned how much I suck at math and formulas, but how much I loved to program and just how many cool things you could do with hardware and software.


Now, I do a very limited amount of programming, mostly Lotus Script and don't have a lot of time to play around as I also have a wonderful family to spend time with. But when I do have time, you will find me putting a new Linux distro on my notebook (I can never keep the same OS on my laptop for more than 3 days, I call it OS ADD), various versions of Windows and playing around with Android 3.2 (writing this on my eePad Transformer).


So in the future, look for my experiences with the various OSes and tech things that I come across and my views of the various news relating to technology.


Thanks for taking the time to read this.


Also thanks to Patrick Beja for the idea of putting 'not' in front of something that you can't get your name on.

No comments:

Post a Comment