Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Samsung Galaxy Gio - Unlocked on Rogers




If you have read any of my previous posts you have no doubt seen what I have had to go through in order to make my hand-me-down iPhone 3G work in any sort of acceptable way. If I am not mistaken, I have posted 2 or 3 entries here on how to make the phone 'liveable'.

Well, today (actually Feb. 18, 2012) that all comes to an end, I am leaving my iPhone 3G for a Samsung Galaxy Gio. In your head you are probably saying, Galaxy Gio? Why would you choose some low-end hardware and not a Samsung Galaxy S II or something like that?

Well... you have to remember, I get hand-me downs because I am not able to commit to a 3 year contract for one of the nicer, newer models and I also can't fork out $600 - 800 on a cell phone (I am not sure how anyone can because of how fast they become outdated). So let me tell you how/why I bought this phone.

Backstory:


I have had this phone ever since I have upgraded my wife to the iPhone4, just before the iPhone4S and have been on a daily basis living with the fact that I only ever really have about 40MB of usable memory that gets eaten up quite rapidly by just one app.  Over time, when using it, it is not uncommon to wait 2 - 3 minutes for an app to load, have to load the app 2 - 3 times as it would crash shortly after the load screen or just completely lock up the device using up all its available memory. With such a low amount of RAM it then becomes a concious effort to load only a certain amount of apps, or in a particular order, which started to drive me nuts.

I had tolerated this for quite some time, but the final straw came when I was trying to discretely write something nice in an e-mail to my wife for valentines day on my iPhone3G. I had spent a good hour pecking at the small virtual keys to pump this e-mail out only to have the phone freeze just before the completion of the message and the app close automatically due to memory constraints wasting all the effort (mainly typing on that keyboard). I couldn't take it anymore... so I began devising a master plan on how I can fix my particular problem, but on the cheap.

Research:


So being hell bent on replacing the phone, I began searching around for a way to keep my existing SIM and service, but get a new Android or iOS phone.

OK, you caught me... I didn't even look at the iPhone because I loved my tablet and I wanted the same experience on my phone. So given that I want an Android phone, what are my choices here in Ontario, Canada?
  • Rogers
  • Telus
  • Bell
  • Koodo
  • Virgin Mobile
  • Fido
  • Wind
  • Moblicity
  • Public Mobile
And when you really boil it down there are only 6 choices since Fido=Rogers, Virgin Mobile=Bell, Koodo=Telus, so the search was on for a decently priced Android phone from any of these companies or even on-line via eBay or Kijiji.

One thing I noticed rather quick was that it was more or less impossible to get any of the Android phones released in the last year or two because they were all tied to 3yr contract commitments of $50+ or they were  $500 - 700 to buy right out. As I mentioned previously, both of these choices are a problem for me and I had to immediately rule them out. Instead I would have to find a way of getting the phone I want, but in an affordable way.

Then, I remembered an ad for Public Mobile that I had seen them around where they were advertising a $100 android phone, but it was from some obscure Chinese manufacturer. I wasn't really into buying a phone from a manufacturer I hadn't heard of, but it did give me the idea of going to one of the bigger carriers in search of a pay-as-you-go Android phone. My first thought was to go to Virgin Mobile, they always seemed to be so cool and friendly </sarcasm>, so I poked around their website and found some Android phones available priced around $199. 

I had a device in mind and decided first that I would talk to a Virgin representative to find out if they could unlock the phone for me if I bought it right out. Their response was essentially the primary reason that I didn't buy the phone and went looking elsewhere, it went something like this:
  • Me: Hi Virgin, just wondering if I spent money with your company and purchase a phone outright, would you be kind enough to provide a network unlock code so I could use it with my existing plan?"
  • Virgin: Hey there! We definitely want to help you with unlocking your phone if you purchased it from us.
  • Me: OK, so how does this work. If I buy a phone from you, would you essentially hand over the unlock key with the phone so I can use the phone I purchased outright any way that I want?
  • Virgin: I am happy to tell you that if you purchase a phone from us, you can definitely have it unlocked. There is just a few things you should know before getting your phone unlocked.
  • Me: Alright... what's that?
  • Virgin: Well, first... if you buy the phone outright from us, you need to create an account with us for at least 30 days and the phone needs to be active. This will either be a regular plan or a month-to-month, and you may have to pay early cancellation fees if you go on one of the regular plans.
  • Virgin: Second, you need to provide us with $75.00 for the phone to be unlocked. Please bear in mind that if you send your phone in for warranty unlocked it will be returned to you locked, you will then have to pay another $75.00 to get the phone unlocked again.
  • Me: That's insane. So you are saying for a phone that I paid full price for cannot be unlocked unless I pay you for 30 days of phone service that I don't want just so that I can later pay you and additional $75.00 to unlock the phone (most likely out of my site without providing the code)? You have to be nuts!
I couldn't believe it! Full price for a phone and I am still somehow locked into the vendor? They are milking customers for every last dollar... I did some further reading and found that it was seemingly worse with other providers. So now that I was put off from that Virgin Mobile exchange, I went hunting on-line for pay-as -you-go phones from other carriers. My next stop was Koodo, for the Samsung Galaxy Ace.

The phone looked great and looked like it would do everything that I wanted... I was literally moments away from buying one before deciding that I need a bit more information on how it would work to unlock the phone. Lucky that I did because Koodo doesn't use the same radio frequency as its parent Telus or Rogers and Bell, which is 850Mhz. Koodo uses 900Mhz & 2100Mhz for their 3G signals which would have essentially meant that I would be stuck with a phone that only ever had a 2G (edge) signal. So before you buy that phone MAKE SURE your current providers UTMS/HSDPA+ frequencies match those of the phone you are buying (in my case 850Mhz). 

Now that I am aware of the frequency issues, my choice of cell phones was restricted only to what Telus, Rogers and Bell could offer me (since they all use 850Mhz for 3G). Rogers is pointless, because they clearly do not want you to have a smartphone without a contract as there isn't a single Android pay-as-you-go phone, which leaves only Bell and Telus. Telus had the LG Optimus One and Bell had the Samsung Galaxy Gio. Once you compare the 2 phones, the Samsung Galaxy Gio clearly comes out the better looking and more functional of the 2 Android phones, so I bought that one. The fact that I also got an extra $50 off the $129.99 price didn't hurt my decision making either. 

Unlocking:

I was very excited about the purchase of my new phone and couldn't wait to start using it, but it is definitely not going to be on the Bell network (since they have terrible pricing and also since I already have a plan). Initially, I spent a good day looking all over the internet on how I could unlock the phone for free, but with no luck, it seems as though secret of unlocking cell phones is like the secret behind a magic trick and it is closely guarded and can only be known to magicians.

So rather than go free, I thought instead I will put up some good money to get it done right the first time... which eliminated almost every single site that offered unlocking for less than $20 (they were probably mostly scams anyway). After much research I eventually narrowed my selection down to these companies: 
  • www.cellunlocker.net
  • www.mobileincanada.com
  • www.foneszone.co.uk
In the end I chose www.cellunlocker.net because the website was decent, it had a support forum, a phone number and an order tracking system. I assumed they couldn't possibly rip me off if they invest so much in providing support. So I got PayPal ready to go and gave them $32.99CAD, which is the cost of unlocking a Samsung Galaxy Gio. They said that it would take 1 - 3 hours to provide me with the unlock code via e-mail and after payment I waited patiently for that e-mail that was the key to freedom, not entirely confident that I would ever receive it.

2 hours later, I did. I shut off the phone, put in the non-Bell SIM card and when the phone asked my for the network unlock key, I punched it in and was ready to go on the Rogers network in seconds.

Note: If you reset your phone to factory after unlocking, you have to re-enter the code to unlock it as the restore puts it back into a locked state.

Using the phone:

The difference between the Gio and the iPhone3G was like night and day. Once I got some applications on the phone I was launching the Facebook mobile app and within seconds (not minutes) I was in looking at content. It was the same for all the applications that I had tried as well.... I was sooooo happy.

Happy, that is, until I tried to load all of the programs that I had on my tablet and then quickly discovered that I was out of memory and could not install any more apps. Bummer!

It was only then that I realized that the Samsung Galaxy Gio only had a total of 180MB of internal memory for apps. And despite me telling it to install all the apps to the 16GB micro SD card I had in the phone, the internal memory just kept coming down. So, I went to google in search of a solution.

Initially I found a utility called 'DarkTremor A2SD' which supposedly tricks the phone into thinking that the SD card is actually the internal memory of the phone. But in order to use this, or anything else useful I needed to 'root' the phone in order to get things going.

I searched everywhere for instructions and eventually came across this site. It provides the correct update and instructions on how to root your S5660 (aka Galaxy Gio) phone. The process, to my surprise, took less than 5 minutes and required absolutely no technical knowledge... simply shut off the phone, turn it on again holding the home button and then apply the update to the phone from the SD card (the file has to be in the root).

First problem solved... the next problem was to get DarkTremor to work. I did find something on the marketplace that was a GUI for DarkTremor, but it required scripts and an EXT3 partition on the SD card to work (and possibly updates to the init scripts). Though I did install it and messed around with partitioning  the SD card I could never get things 'Just Right' in order to have DarkTremor GUI to open and let me start tricking my phone. I did contemplate going to SimpliGio or GioPro v1.4, but I didn't have a lot of time to sort through the complexities of flashing my ROM and I really didn't want to risk losing the phone I just purchased... so I opted not to proceed. Instead, I began searching for a replacement program that would do the same thing, but easier and LUCKILY I found the program 'Link2SD' which does the same thing as DarkTremor A2SD, but much, much simpler. So I downloaded it from the market and installed it on my device.

Once installed I thought things would a bit more straight forward, but I still kept getting errors about the 2nd partition despite the fact that I had partitioned the poor card every which way I could think of. It was when I stumbled across this article that things made perfect sense (since Link2SD was always looking for a 2nd partition)... You have to make a FAT partition first, followed by an EXT2 (or probably FAT) partition for the apps. Once I did that, Link2SD worked for a charm and has been saving internal space on my Gio like crazy.

Summary:

This by far was the best deal that a person could get on a brand new Android phone without being tied to a specific carrier and a 3yr contract. The phone is fast, has good programs, takes good pictures, has expandable storage, has a changeable battery and uses a standard MicroUSB cable to charge.

I am loving the phone and do not miss for a second my iPhone3g. If you want a good performing phone for a good price, don't hesitate to do this. I didn't have any problems with www.cellunlocker.net, so I recommend using them to unlock your phone.


3 comments:

  1. After the Gio is rooted the unlock code can be extracted in a matter of min's once you are granted SuperUser permissions... Google it and follow the steps, not much harder then rooting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wild....good article....all i want to do is unlock the gio for travel...in the end it may be cheaper to just buy a pay as you go in another country....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The experience wasn't too bad. The trick is just to find the right image for the device. I have been using the phiexz version, but he isn't around anymore. I do have it on my SD card, so can put it up. It probably would be easier to buy a burner phone, but if you get any android phone you should be able to root it and apply a custom ROM (Cyanogen) and you could take any Android phone anywhere you want.

      Delete