Thursday, February 2, 2012

OSX Lion Transformation for Windows 7

So today I got off on one of my tech tangerines (tangents) and had this urge to go out and make my Thinkpad look more like Mac than Windows 7... to give me that nice UI experience that comes with a Mac, which I have never in my life owned.

I know many people are going to say how silly it is that to make one OS (Windows) look like another OS (Mac), and while I do agree with that thought it doesn't mean that it will stop me from being silly. I have many valid reasons for doing this actually:

  1. I need to use a Windows machine everyday for work.
  2. Using Linux, while I enjoy using it, doesn't always cut it when working. 
  3. I cannot justify having or using 2 different laptops... having another tablet is hard enough.
  4. If I did buy a Mac, I would do exactly what I am doing in Linux which is to run windows under a virtual machine or dual boot to Windows.
So with that all being said, I decided that today is the day that I am going to make my OS look purdy.

I used to be one of those people that would go in and tweak all the different elements of the OS from the font, to the wallpaper etc... but unfortunately I am now one of those people that don't have any time. So I long ago abandoned all manual configuration of anything (which is why I moved from Slackware to Ubuntu) in favour of quick and easy. 

It is not hard to find these things on the net if you know what you are looking for, but to save you the trouble, if you happen to actually be reading this blog I posted the 2 transformation packs (as they are called) below. I think they are both from from a company/site called WinXSoft:

  1. Snow Leopard Transformation Pack: It appears that this one has been retired, but you can still find it here, if you think that it will give you a better look than the newer version.
  2. Lion Transformation Pack: This one is brand new and replaces the previous version they had online, it does a pretty good job of making your PC look Mac-ish.

Of course before you do any of this you will want to create a Windows System Restore point, just in case something goes south when you are installing/uninstalling it. But having this pack installed on my PC for about 2 hours now, not seeing any issues at all... looks pretty nice and gets rid of some of the bland Windows design.

Here are some videos that you can look at before you take the plunge, if you are a bit skittish.

Try it out, it's pretty good. If you would like to see what other transformation packs they have, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment