Thursday, February 2, 2012

Whited00r no more

You could call it a beta test or a test drive perhaps to explain my short time spent with Whited00r, 12 days to be exact. It's not that I don't like Whited00r, I certainly do, but I had 2 specific reasons why I did not want to keep using the custom OS.

Initially, when I had installed Whited00r, I was wowed by the speed gain that I had received on my device vs. the previous iOS version I had installed (4.0.1). I was jumping around between applications quickly, sluggishness was gone and multi-tasking was setup really well and I literally had no problems at all and not a single care in the world. So I continued for days, very happy that I had a functioning and non-sluggish phone before I ran into problem #1.

Problem #1:

I have a set of applications that I use on a regular basis (as of course everyone does) that I really like to have and because I had to setup the phone from scratch, they weren't synced back on, so naturally I wanted to re-install them. Up to this point I really never did have a reason to open the Apple app store or even care that it was not there (knowing that I only had the Whited00r version called 3store). But when I dug into it a bit, I found that it was kind of a pain to get Apple sanctioned apps back on my phone because (as previously mentioned) I had synced back my previous Safari bookmarks and lost any that Whited00r would have provided me. But before I fixed my link to the Apple app store, I thought I would take a look through the 3 store and try it out to see how it worked. I found 3 applications that I actually wanted to install:

  1. Facebook
  2. Twitter
  3. Citrix

So I went ahead and tried to install them via the 3store. Once I did, I was a bit put off by the way that it does the install... not to say it was bad, but wasn't what I thought was an ideal experience. When you go to install anything or search for anything, 3store essentially just does an internet search (with additional keywords on top of yours) for .ipa files. You end up getting directed to rapidshare or some other service like that to download the .ipa file, which made me sort of appreciate the walled garden of the Apple app store... not knowing if these .ipa files had been tampered with. Eventually though I had everything installed that I wanted from that store, but was not quite finished. So I took another couple hours to figure out just how I could get a good working link to the actual Apple app store, which I had updated my previous post with for those who ran into the same problem. Once I was finally in I went looking for the other apps that I use most often:
  • Netflix: Essential for those times when you are too lazy to pull it up on your TV/PS3/Tablet or computer.
  • Hootsuite: Essential for those who frequent both Facebook and Twitter... if only they could add G+.
  • Orb: To access some of my home content while I am out, much like slingbox.
  • GoTasks: AMAZING task manager that syncs back to your Google Tasks.
  • Podcaster: So I can (sans-iTunes) wirelessly download all my tech podcasts. Good... but memory hog.
But then ran into problem #2.

Problem #2:

None of the apps I wanted/needed are available on iOS3, which is something that I did expect going into this. The problem is, for me, maybe you too, that despite the speed and refinements offered by Whited00r I spend everyday looking at someone that doesn't have any app restrictions (wife) and asking myself  "Do I want performance, or do I want my apps?"... eventually the apps won out as I could no longer resist the temptation to get them back, which really does say something about apps doesn't it? It is no wonder people are always stuck upgrading to newer hardware because the software is sooo compelling that you can't afford to be left behind... I am actually dreading the day when the iOS5+ apps start to dominate the Apple app store.

So... here I am, back on good old iOS4.0.1 (why 4.0.1? because http://jailbreakme.com is easy and doesn't mess up applications the way that GreenP0ison or others do, you know... mail link to page and then Springboard kacks on you). The performance doesn't seem to be as terrible as I remember it to be... but at least I have all of my apps back.


No comments:

Post a Comment